The gallbladder happens to be an oblong and a small organ which is located on to the right part of the abdomen, just below the liver. The gallbladder in the body stores up bile which is considered to be an important digestive fluid produced by the liver which happens to play a vital role in the process of digestion.
Gallbladder cancer is unusual in nature and the chances of the cure of this cancer are very high if it is found at an early stage. However, in most of the cases, the cancer is detected at the last stage when the prediction of the cure becomes next to impossible. According to cancer specialist hospital in Delhi, gallbladder cancer is not very easy to diagnose. This is because it doesn’t usually show any kinds of signs and symptoms. Gallbladder cancer is usually an adenocarcinoma.
Gallbladder cancer symptoms:
The following include the signs and symptoms of the gallbladder:
- Stomach ache as well as bloating, specifically in the upper right section of the abdomen
- Food aversion
- Sudden weight loss
Risk factors associated with gallbladder cancer:
According to the cancer specialist hospital in Delhi, following are the risk factors associated with gallbladder cancer:
- Sex of the patient: This kind of cancer is more particular and common in women.
- Age factor: The risk of gallbladder cancer increases as a person begins to age
- Weight issues: Obese people are more prone to gallbladder cancer than healthier ones.
- Other gallbladder diseases as well as conditions: These conditions mainly include porcelain gallbladder, chronic gallbladder infection, choledochal cyst, etc.
Gallbladder cancer treatment is possible only after the problem has been diagnosed. A number of tests, as well as procedures, are carried out in order to diagnose cancer. These include the following:
- Blood tests to evaluate liver function.
- Imaging tests such as ultrasound, CT scan, MRI.
Once cancer has been diagnosed, the next step is to check its stage. Various procedures, as well as tests, are carried out to figure out the stage of gallbladder cancer. They include the following:
- Exploratory surgery
- Tests which examine the bile ducts and which include endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.
- Additional imaging tests including CT of the chest as well as the abdomen, ultrasonography as well as MRI of the liver and positron emission tomography.
Gallbladder Cancer treatment:
Gallbladder cancer treatment depends on the stage of cancer as well as the overall health of the person. The major aim of the treatment is to get rid of the disease, however, when it is not possible to treat it, other therapies are administered on to the patient in order to control the spread of the disease.
Treatment for late stage gallbladder cancer:
Surgery is usually not able to cure cancer which has spread to various other parts of the body. Thus, various other treatment options are used in this case which also provides relief from all the symptoms of cancer. Advanced gallbladder cancer causes several blockages in the bile ducts that lead to further complications in the body. There are various procedures adopted to help a person get rid of the problem. These therapies include the following:
Gallbladder is one of the most important digestive organs of the body and the cancer of gallbladder should be taken seriously. Contact your doctor upon experiencing any kind of symptom so that you can start with the treatment at the earliest.